Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Housewife Chronicles - Day 4

DAY 4 – February 26, 2007

 

I've been meaning to go to the National Statistics Office to get a copy of our marriage certificate for a month now. I was planning to go today, but “katamaran” (laziness) set in early (from the time I woke up), so I decided to put it off. “What’s the rush?” is fast becoming my new mantra. (Which was a good thing because I am to learn that you can actually apply for this via phone call or online and you don’t have to actually go there and brave the crowds.)

 

Peaceful day for me. I worked on building my merchandise inventory since I was scheduled to give the next batch of necklaces, bracelets and earrings to my sister over the weekend. I decided to “mass produce”. Meaning I started making 2 pieces of each design.

 

I used to make only one of each, making each piece unique. This kept the work of making them from being boring… it also makes for a very slow process. And with the demand I have to meet (man, it feels good to say that!), I need to work faster. “Mass Production” is then the way to go, baby! Though I can’t make more than 2 pieces for each design because it gets boring for me after the second piece.

 

I went out for grocery and spent a lot without buying anything of substance as I will discover by dinner time. I got the usual soda, cereals, chips, chocolates, crackers, bread… straying away from the meat and produce section since I felt I had no reason to go there.

 

Lunch, or any meal aside from breakfast, by myself is always a dilemma. I don’t know what I want to eat. As a kid, my mom decides what we eat. In college I lived in a dorm where they serve meals. Living alone was the longest I was able to go on diet, not because I wanted to, but because there was no other way I knew how to live without someone taking care of my needs for me. Getting married improved my situation… my husband then decides what we eat.

 

If lunch is a dilemma, dinner is traumatic. Doing nothing and staying at home all day, doesn’t give me any excuse on why I can’t have a decent dinner ready by the time my husband arrives from work. The thing is… I really have no idea what to prepare for dinner unless he is willing to put up with soups, salads and fried anything.

 

So I sent my husband a text message asking him to pick up something for dinner from the grocery. SMS being reliable… he arrived home without dinner. I made the mistake of asking him what he got for dinner, confident that he got my message. Apparently, he didn’t. And it annoyed him that I was asking him this knowing I went out for groceries earlier that morning and that I was just at home doing nothing all day.

 

This housewife thing is quickly getting very old very quick. At least when I was working, I had a perfect excuse not to cook at night seeing I get home later than my husband does.

 

Around 9PM, my husband finally received the text message I sent him at 5:30PM.

No comments: