Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tales of the Bored - Day 8

The Quest to become the most boring person within my zip code… in 32 days or less!

June 6, 2009 (Saturday)

“What did you do?” my doctor asked when I went to her office this afternoon.

Why do they always assume I did something? I didn’t do anything. I was sleeping! SLEEPING!!!

I woke up this morning feeling a bit hopeful. I was thinking I might be allowed to go to work on Monday because aside from the few drops of blood I saw last Wednesday, everything was normal on Thursday and Friday, including my strength. I wasn’t feeling as tired.

I guess it was too early to think that way.

After eating breakfast, my husband and I were watching TV when I started feeling drowsy. I decided to go upstairs and take a nap.

I woke up a few hours after, and went to the bathroom. What I saw alarmed me. Blood. More blood than those other times. I guess I started bleeding while I was asleep. I was feeling really, really frustrated. I don’t get it… I was in bed! I was asleep! This happened while I was following doctor’s orders! It’s not fair.

I called my husband and told him and we went to see my doctor. After examining me, my doctor told me that she’s afraid my cervix is beginning to open. I don’t rightly know what that means but it sounded ominous. She scheduled an ultrasound and a few lab tests during my last visit and now, she updated the schedules so I can get those procedures done earlier because we will now need the results earlier. The last scheduled test on my list is June 20. At first, she advised me to on bed rest until after we get the last results on June 20. The blood I saw was still in my head so I thought that was fair and agreed. She checked my charts again with a worried look on her face, looked at me and said I should make it a month. I laughed. I honestly thought she was kidding since she knew how I felt about bed rest. She didn’t smile back as she started writing my medical certificate and prescription so the smile froze on my face and I was barely able to mumble that ok, I’ll tell my boss.

I was in a daze as my husband drove me to my mom’s house. We decided that he will leave me there for the afternoon while he attends a meeting.

That night, while I was waiting for my husband to come for me, I was discussing my condition with my mom. She was asking me to consider the possibility of resignation. I can’t even begin to contemplate one month of bed rest. How the hell am I supposed to consider quitting my job and staying at home until I give birth? She said there is a possibility that my condition may not improve. I don’t want to even think about it. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. So much depends on June 20. I hope the tests show that I’m fine and I can go back to living my life.

During our discussion, my mom suggested I talk to the baby. By the way, if you are all wondering, baby is fine. I feel him/her moving inside me all the time now. So ok, baby and I will have a serious talk:

Dear baby, don’t worry. Mommy and daddy will make sure that you will be ok. Mommy will go through this because she doesn’t have a choice but you can forget about having a brother or sister :) You should cooperate, baby, because mommy might lose her job if you don’t. Your life will be so much more comfortable if both mommy and daddy have jobs. Mommy promises to shop for you after she’s released from bed rest. Just stay where you are a while longer. Why are you rushing to come out anyway? You will have enough time to spend out here… you will have years! But in the womb, you only get 37 weeks. I heard the womb is a warm and safe place. So just enjoy the time you get to spend there, ok?

NOTE: By the way baby, if you can put in a little extra effort to make sure you come out cute, mommy will appreciate that very much. Thanks! :)

We got home at around 10PM. My husband apparently did a little shopping before picking me up. He got me and intercom system. He had it installed in a few minutes so now, there really is little reason for me to leave my bedroom. Everything I need is just a buzz away.

My new buzzer beside my bed.

2 comments:

El said...

I got a little teary-eyed on the last part.

Janelle said...

Which part? The part where he/she has to come out cute (which I so totally mean! haha) or the part about my buzzer?? hehe.