Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Circle Skirt Dress for Barbie

Last Sunday, amidst all the rush to finish my Mother's Day projects (i.e. the Satin and Tulle flower for my mom's blouse, and the matching rosettes headbands for Andrea and me) before we had to leave the house, I decided to squeeze in a simple dress for Barbie. 

I used the leftover jersey fabric from my Kimono Dress that I turned into a skirt. I made a Circle Skirt from Dana's tutorial at Made. And then I made the top using Delia's tutorial for the Paper Bag Dress... only you know... I made it shorter because it will only be a top and I tapered toward the waist because I wanted the top part loose but not too loose. And then I attached the skirt to the top. I sewed this by hand... I have no idea how to sew something so small using my sewing machine.

After I sewed both halves together, I cut a slit at the back of the top so that Barbie can put it on and take it off easily. I sewed on a sort of flap on one side of the slit so I can attach the Velcro. But since the fabric is small and a little flimsy, things went haywire when I tried to sew it on using the sewing machine...

Please don't be jealous of my sewing skills.
I was in a hurry at the time so I didn't fix it... but I will *sigh*. The belt is actually a black piece of satin ribbon tied at the back. 

And we have a conservative dress for Barbie (why do all Barbie clothes sold at the mall have to be clingy and tight fitting???). I wanted to make the skirt a little longer but I didn't have enough scrap fabric.

Paired with a woven doll's bag I bought somewhere for around P40 (or around $0.50)

Linking up to the following link parties:
Sew Cute Tuesday at Creative Itch | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Designs | Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims | Hoo's Got Talent? at Night Owl Crafting | Will See It Wednesday at Fabric Bows and More

6 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

Hey, she looks like some girl out of a fifties movie! Lovely!

Diane Writes said...

A classic and beautiful Barbie!

You left a question in my blog regarding Golden Fortune Factory, the shop that sells the beautiful cloth bags. Yes the shop is located inside the Riverbanks Center. Super ganda at mura ng items. Hindi din masyado matao so makakapili ka talaga. The shop is perfect lalo na during Christmas. They give volume discounts. Try mo minsan. :)

Janelle said...

Thank you! I was actually aiming for the 'vintage' look :D

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Very nice! I used to play with barbies all the time! :-) Thanks for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday blog party.

Lizette said...

So cute! Barbie looks very classy. I love that you made it look a little vintage. Ive been wanting to make barbie clothes so bad, but every pattern I have tried never ends up fitting right on barbie. I have yet to learn how to go about sewing something that tiny.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Cute!! i want one in my size :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again later this week :)