Friday, May 6, 2011

Pleated Tie Necklace from Maybe Matilda

On one of my usual blog hops this week, I saw this project by Rachel over at Maybe Matilda.

I loved it and I knew instantly I was going to make one. When I got home later that night... I hunted around for one of my husband's unused ties. He has this small collection of ugly old ties from his college days (a long time ago) and I picked one with a sort of nautical print. In my heart, I wanted to use one of his nicer ties to make a nicer necklace... but I didn't want to start a war so... :)

I followed the instructions on Rachel's tutorial. It was relatively easy... except for one thing... it required a button hole! I have never tried sewing a button hole using my machine before and I couldn't figure out how just by looking at the sewing machine's parts so I did something I should have done a long time ago...

I busted open the sewing machine's user manual and started reading it.

And after a while...
My first button hole!!! *screams of joy*
It was not as bad as I thought. I had visions of complicated twists and turns while sewing and surprisingly, you just position your fabric and the machine pretty much sews the button hole for you.

Here's my finished pleated tie necklace:
I didn't have the tutorial open while I was sewing so I sewed the button on the wrong piece. Too late to do something about it when I saw the original again since the button hole is already there. Anyway, I guess it works too. If you want to make one, check out Rachel's tutorial.


My husband saw me wearing it when I met him at the mall after work last night.
Taken in front of the mirror so the necklace looks reversed.
Me: Look what I made! Oh by the way,I used one of your old ties, can I have it? I hope you don't mind me taking it.
Hubby: You ask me after you destroyed it already?
Me: Excuse me??? Destroyed it. I rescued it!

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Linking up to the following link parties:
CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty | Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | Craft Couture Monday at Craft Couture | A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Manic Monday at Sew Happy Geek | Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle | A Marvelous Mess at Marvelously Messy | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Tuesday To-do Party at The Blackberry Vine | Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Sew Cute Tuesday at Creative Itch | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Designs | Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims | Hoo's Got Talent? at Night Owl Crafting | Will See It Wednesday at Fabric Bows and More | Weekend Wrapup Party at Tatertots and Jello | Friday Favorites at Inspiring Creations | Lovely Crafty Weekend at Lovely Crafty Home | Show and Tell at Be Different Act Normal | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S. at The Tattered Tag


Visit thecsiproject.com
CSI Refashions Challenge

18 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

Whow- very classy!

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Wow! I love it! I actually like yours better than mine ;-) And good for you with the buttonhole . . . I actually just stitched the button straight on the top layer through to the bottom . . . I have never yet attempted a button hole but you've given me courage--next time I make one of these necklaces, I'm going to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing! Is it okay with you if I snag a picture and link to your page on my "your creations" tab on my blog?

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

An Oasis in the Desert said...

It is just stunning! I bet your hubby didn't really mind. I mean, how could he when he saw how lovely it looked on you?

Have a great Mother's Day!
CAS

Evelin said...

I'd say that pattern is lovely!
Well, at least for a necklace :)
Nice job!

Kimra said...

that's super cool! so pretty!

Jill said...

This is fantastic! Well done on your first buttonhole too!

I've been looking for things to do with my pile of old ties during my clothes upcycling month of May. I'd love if you linked this up to the clothes upcycling linky, we have nearly 50 fantastic projects linked up already - but I'm always looking for more!

http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

And thanks for linking to a Round Tuit too!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Janelle said...

@Evelin: I actually thought so too AFTER I finished the necklace :D I didn't quite appreciate it much when it was just a plain tie.

Debby said...

wow this is so beautiful!! Mskes me want to grab one of honey's ties and make it a necklace :)

stopping by from Not JUST A Housewife

btw I'm your new follower

http://redecoratingonawhim.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

What a brillant idea! I love it! I'd love if you'd link this up at Sew Woodsy!

the cape on the corner said...

wow! that's awesome and i love it! now i know what to do with all those great ties kohls has on clearance!

Unknown said...

I've never seen anything like it!! Very cool. By the way, I totally know that scene you had with your husband. I have regular ones with my hubby like that!!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Love this necklace! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'! I'll be featuring you tomorrow, so be sure to stop by and grab a 'featured' button!

Chiara said...

You did a GREAT job with this. What a fun way to dress up a plain shirt. I shared your tutorial for this on my Friday Favorites (posted today/Tuesday due to Blogger issues last week). Thanks for the great craft idea!

Teresa said...

This is a fantastic idea!! I went through my husband's wonderful ties he had since HIGH SCHOOL!! They had to wear them on game days...lets just say Scooby Doo isn't quite the right look for him now.

I will have to check the tutorial out! Thanks for sharing.

Found you via CSI Link-up, would love for you to check out my blog at http://creativecowgirl.co

Unknown said...

Oh, yay! Now I can raid my dad's closet, too!

Ruby Murray said...

Love this, I love a good upcycled tie project.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous necklace!!!!! I can't wait to try it too!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! :)

Unknown said...

omg,you ve made a very interesting posting,i thx your ideas very much,should be dress be seemingly dressed for the dress,like those may be taken from http://www.prettytailor.com/,thx really for showing us such a fancy posting on how dress oneself.really fancy feeling^^