Friday, June 24, 2011

Make Your Own Bolster Pillows

This idea isn't new. I remember seeing something like this on another blog I found at a link party but I wasn't able to bookmark the site.

I needed to buy Andrea bigger bolster pillows but I remember that someone gave her this thick  baby comforter (not sure what it's called but it looks like this, like a very thick comforter). I wasn't able to take 'before' photos of the comforter but it's like really thick comforter stuffed with polyester stuffing inside. Since we disposed of her baby wooden crib, we don't use that comforter anymore. 

To turn it into a bolster pillow... I simply cut it in half, rolled it (keeping the open edge inside when I rolled), and hand stitched the sides.

Roll half of the futon/comforter
Two halves of the comforter rolled to make bolster pillows.
Stitched both ends to keep the shape.
I then made simple bolster pillow cases from some fabric I have in my small stash (note to self: need to buy more fabric to keep in stock for quick projects like this).

It's a rainy day here in Manila today... non-stop heavy rain since yesterday and some areas are already flooded (fortunately, not the area where I live), government offices already sent their employees home (me hoping our company will do the same). Here's me hoping for a great weekend anyway. Hope you guys have a great weekend too!

Edited (06-28-2011):
Kelley of Kelley Highway left a comment saying that Rie of Home and Harmony has a project like this (Makeshift Bolster). I visited Home and Harmony and saw that that was the project I saw before that gave me this idea. Thanks for the info Kelley! :)

I am linking up to the following link parties:
Catch a Glimpse at A Glimpse Inside | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | Friday Favorites at Inspiring Creations | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | Keep It Simple Sunday at The Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I heart Nap Time | Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming | Not Baaad Sunday at Lamb Around | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Craft-O-Maniac Monday at Craft-O-Maniac | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Marvelously Messy at A Marvelous Mess | Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle | Handmade Tuesday at Lady Bug Blessings | Tuesday To-do Party at The Blackberry Vine | Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Tuesday Confessional Link Party at Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy | Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims | We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | Hoo's Got Talent at Night Owl Crafting | Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman | Link Party at Tea Rose Home | Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts | Sugar & Spice at  Seven Thirty Three | Creative Juice at Momnivore's Dilemma | Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple | Get Your Brag On at Gluesticks | Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage | A Crafty Soiree at Katie's Nesting Spot |

16 comments:

Jill said...

That's lovely fabric you used for the pillowcases! Cute pink ribbons to tie the ends too!

hope the rain stops soon!
Have a lovely weekend!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Ahhh! Rue did this on her two daughters' beds. Home and Harmony. I think this was even highlighted in Romantic Homes (or something like that) magazine.

Yours turned out precious!

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Not Rue. Rie. Didn't noticed my iPhone changed the spelling...

Darcee said...

Great way to reuse your old comforter! I have a few larger ones (twin & queen), maybe I can use them to make some of these?? Thanks for sharing!

Rosette said...

Nice idea!Thanks for sharing! Hope everyone is safe. I heard that there's flood everywhere.

PC said...

What a creative repurpose! Glad to know your family is ok! Take care!

ibshell said...

I kept thinking there must be a way to reuse blankets. I almost feel guilty getting rid of them. Thanks for the idea!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

What a great idea! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
~Macy

annies home said...

what a cute idea to reuse what you all ready have come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great idea! Thanks for inspiring me. I'm following you now, can't wait to see what else you've got going on :) ~Lori

raising4princesses said...

I think you're pretty nifty. I love this idea! http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

Aisling said...

Good way of reusing something that we might otherwise throw out.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

What a "big girl" update! So pretty! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman's Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Lovely Light said...

Hi there- found you through Tea Rose Home's hop and am a new follower. Very simple! I love bolsters, just have never made one... maybe now I will! I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!

Jami said...

You're so innovative!!! The pillows look great! Thanks so much for sharing at the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami

Anonymous said...

These are so cute and look super comfy! I could make a lot of use out of these with my poor aching back. Thanks for sharing. :)

I'd love for you to pop over and link this up with So Sweet Sundays!

morrowsunshine.blogspot.com